Thursday, September 1, 2011

Founders Devil Dancer Triple IPA - Craft Beer Review #148

Here is what the Brewer says:
When you dance with the Devil, the Devil don't change. You do. Massive in complexity, the huge malt character balances the insane amount of alphas used to create it. At an incredible 112 IBUs, it's dry-hopped with ten hop varieties. 12% ABV 112IBU

My Thoughts:
 This brew poured a very hazy burnt orange with a fair amount of head after a somewhat vigorous pour.  The smell had three very strong and distinct notes to it...Citrus, Grapefruit and a massive amount of "grassy" hops.  I have never smelled a beer like this beer in my life.  It was both strange and intriguing at the same time, so I couldn't wait to take a sip.  The taste of this high ABV and high IBU beer did not disappoint.  Powerful "grassy" hop flavor is prominent throughout, but does combine with the citrus and grapefruit notes that the nose suggested..  The a sweet malt backbone tries to come into play to balance out the hops, but honestly nothing is getting in the way of this hop monster.  The finish of the beer is actually quite pleasing and a lingering bitterness remains with you for a while!  I have to say I was a fan of the taste of this beer, but it is 100% a sipping beer!   The body was above average and it had a little creamy and bubbly mouthfeel to it.  As mentioned, this beer is a sipper!  Downing 1 of these was not a challenge, but I don't see myself sitting around having 2-3 in a row.  This beer is worth a try, but trust me, it is not your normal hoppy beer!

Serving Type: 12oz bottle
My Rating: Overall 87.6/100
Look:4.5 | Smell:4.5 | Taste:4.5 | MouthFeel:4.2 | Drinkability:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...