Friday, December 10, 2010

Green Flash West Coast IPA

Here is what the Brewer Says:
This West Coast-Style India Pale Ale is extravagantly hopped, full flavored, medium bodied and copper colored. A menagerie of hops is combined throughout the brewing process to impart specific characteristics. Hops used include Simcoe for a unique fruitiness and grapefruit zest, Columbus for strong hop pungency, Centennial for pine and citrus notes, and Cascade for floral aroma. 
ABV: 7% | IBU's:95

My Thoughts:  This beer poured a very hazy orange with a lot of foamy head out of the bottle. Floral and Citrus hops explode to your nose along with a very sweet malt smell with what smelled like pineapple or some sort of tropical fruit.  The smell was actually not bad.  The flavor however was horrible.   This beer really just seemed to be all over the place in terms of flavors.   At one point a hoppy citrus flavor is pleasing to the palate, then a huge rush of Simcoe and Columbus hops hits you and you are taken back, and then a second later a very sweet, overpowering malt flavor kicks in.  This sweetness vs hoppy really just fought my palate the entire 12 ounces and I was so glad when it was over. I am the first to love a beer that is hoppy, but this was an example of IBUs gone wrong in my book.

All of this being said I did have this out of the bottle and there was no DATE on the bottle as to when it was actually bottled.  There is a good chance this beer was past its prime.   This speaks to my point that all beers should have "Bottled On' dates! I will be doing a review down the road when I know I can have a fresh one! 

My Rating: Overall 36/100
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | drink: 1


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...