Monday, December 20, 2010

Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre

Here is what the Brewer says:
A deep, mahogany Belgian-style brown ale brewed with beet sugar, raisins, and Belgian-style yeast.
We began brewing this one at our brewpub in 1996 (we began packaging and selling it sometime in 1998) as the answer to the question, "What beer should I enjoy with a wood-grilled steak?" Raison D'Etre fits the bill, tasty and as complex as a fine, red wine.
8% ABV 25 IBU
My Thoughts:  This beer poured a very dark brown with a thicker creamy head that left significant lacing for the first half of the drink.  The smell was full of sweet scents...Caramel Malt and Yeast mainly dominated the smell.  This had me a little worried!  The initial flavors to hit you are sweet too.  Dark sweet fruits, toffee and raisins coat your palate at first and continue during the drink.  They are well balanced and not too overpowering as the nose might have suggested.  The aftertaste is what surprised me.  A slight hint of citrus hops came through to add a little bitterness that totally changed my opinion of this beer.  Without this ending this beer would have been too sweet from start to finish for my taste, but with the added bitterness it made this a very well balanced and drinkable brew.   Mouthfeel was light as was carbonation.   I found this beer to be quiet drinkable.  I could have seen myself easily sitting back and enjoying a few of these!
Serving TypeDraft
My Rating:  Overall 76/100
Look: 4  Smell:3  Taste:4  Feel:4  Drink:4 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...