Monday, November 15, 2010

Fat Heads Yakima Hop Stalker IPA

Yakima Up-Close and Personal Shot!
Here is what the Brewer Says:
Brewed with new experimental hop varieties called Apollo and Super Galena. These hops were discovered chasing hop harvest trucks in the Yakima Valley of Washington State.
7.1% abv 85 ibu

Yakima is a clear golden with a hint of orange color IPA with a slight white foamy head. The smell is very much a grapefruit and citrus hop smell.   It really smelled good right from the start so that had me excited for my first sip.  The first taste is, just as the smell lead me to believe, grapefruit and citrus.  Those flavors continue mid drink and during the aftertaste as well.  The body lighter and carbonation was medium. It really is a good IPA that I could have drank 2-3 more and not gotten tired of it.  I couldn't help wondering though how it stacked up to my favorite Fat Head's IPA...Head Hunter.   I ordered a sample of head under to compare to my last 4-5oz of Yakima.  What I can tell you is that the Piney flavored hops used in the Head Hunter put it over the top for me as still my favorite.    If you like citrus and grapefruit the Yakima might take your top prize though!  Also, the Head Hunter was clearer and more golden in color.  (That really is the same amount of beer, the Yakima is in a pint glass and the Head Hunter is in a 4oz tall and skinny sample glass.)

Serving Type: Draft

My Rating: Overall 90/100
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 4.5

Yakima VS Head Hunter
One more shot of the Yakima a little further back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...