Monday, January 23, 2012

Stone Collaboration - More Brown than Black IPA - Craft Beer Review #162

Here is what the Label Says:
This collaboration was brewed by John Kimmich of The Alchemist Waterbury, VT; Jamie Floyd of Ninkasi Brewing Company Eugene, OR;  Mitch Steele of Stone Brewing Co., San Diego, CA
My Thoughts:

Look:  The name really says it all.  This "Black IPA" definitely has more of a dark, rich ruby brown color to it than black.  The color is very unique and looks great in a glass.  The head was about an inch thick at first, but quickly reduced to leave a slightly foamy light brown coating on top.  There was moderate lacing throughout.

Smell:  The hops do come forward in the smell, I got mostly pine and citrus.  There is also a roasted caramel malt smell, but to me the hops were the story in the nose.

Taste:  Upon first sip a noticeable pine hop presence is detected and quickly followed by orange and mild grapefruit.  Mid-drink is where the malt comes into play a bit more.  The malt in this brew was not nearly as robust as some other dark IPAs I have had, but did provide a fair amount of body to back up the hops.  The lingering taste left over is that of pine and even a hint of coffee.  After drinking about 8oz, I did notice that this beer was tasting more and more dry.

Mouthfeel:  This brew had above average carbonation and a mild body.   It really had a nice crisp and dry mouthfeel for the first half, but during the second half of drinking this bottle I noticed a fair amount of dryness that was almost causing some palate fatigue. 

Drinkability: This beer was a pleasant surprise for sure.  I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but after enjoying a bottle I'm glad I have a second in the fridge.  I won't drink it back to back with the first one because of this beer being a little dry, but it makes a for a tasty treat any time on its own.


Serving Type: 12oz bottle
My Rating: Overall 74.6/100
Look:4 | Smell:3.8 | Taste:3.8 | MouthFeel:3.5 | Drinkability:3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...