Sunday, July 31, 2011

Uinta Brewing Crooked Line Detour Double IPA

Beer Review #141
Here is what the Brewer says: Detour blazes the trail for fresh and bold Double IPAs. Four varieties of hops combine to step up the flavor profile. A hoppy adventure that finishes dry. Big in alcohol and character. Venture to pair with other spirited flavors such as those found in spicy ethnic foods. 9.5% ABV 74IBU
This was another beer that I found while in Washington DC.  This bottle was dated 4/7/11 and I decided to purchase it even though it was 2 months old.  I drank it and reviewed this beer on 7/1/11.


My Thoughts:  This beer poured a hazy rust color with a significant foamy head and lots of lacing throughout.  The smell was of grassy hops and pine resin along with a rich, robust malt sweetness.  The taste consisted of mild earthy flavored hops and somewhat oily hops.   The bitterness that hit my tongue was quickly followed by strong malt backbone.  With such a strong malt presence this beer wasn't overly sweet, but it also wasn't overly hoppy.  Some fruit bitterness tried to creep in towards the end but the malt never really let the hops come all the way through like I hoped.   The mouthfeel of this beer was sticky and had a fuller body and medium carbonation.  Drinkability wise it was so/so for me.  The whole time I was drinking it I just wondering what if I drank it a week ago, 2 weeks ago, or what it would be like fresh.  If I ever see a freshly dated bottle I'll pick one up to compare but for now I'd rate this one as average for a DIPA.
Serving Type: 750ML Bottle
My Rating: Overall 74.75/100
Look:4 | Smell:3.75 | Taste:3.75 | MouthFeel:3.75 | Drinkability:3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...