Sunday, July 17, 2011

Firestone Walker Double Jack

Beer Review #137
Here is what the Brewer Says:
Double Jack IPA is our first ever Imperial IPA. It features a big malty middle to cloak the high alcohol and mouth puckering hop bitterness. Huge tangerine, grapefruit and juicy fruit aroma blossom over the herbal blue basil and malt earthiness of this aggressive beer. Best enjoyed in moderation.
I picked up this beer when in Washington DC.  The bottle was dated 3/14/11 which was older than I'd usually buy a double IPA, but I decided to take the risk because I cannot get this beer here in Ohio.  I drank and reviewed this on 6/20/11.
My Thoughts:  Double Jack poured a mostly transparent bright orange with a large foamy head after a pretty vigorous pour.   Within just a few minutes the head reduced to a fourth of what you see in the picture above.  The nose was bright with notes of citrus, orange and grapefruit balanced by a hint of sweetness.  The taste starts out with a lot of citrus, grapefruit and pine, but is quickly tamed by a sweet sugary malt backbone.  In the end, I was left with a very mild lingering bitterness that is pleasing to my palate.   I couldn't help but wonder if the sweet sugary malt that stepped in kind of awkwardly was due to the age of this brew.  The body was average, as was the carbonation.  The beer was a little stick at first, but smoothed out after just a few sips.  As far as drinkability, I had no problems downing this 22oz bottle, but in the back of my mind I kept wondering what this would have been like at 1 week old, or even 1 month old, considering I drank a bottle that was just over 3 months old.  I guess for now I'll rate this, but I will be on the look out for an ultra fresh bottle to compare!
Serving Type: 22oz Bottle
My Rating: Overall 83/100
Look:4.5 | Smell:4.5 | Taste:4 | MouthFeel:4 | Drinkability:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...