Sunday, July 10, 2011

Fire Island Beer Company Red Wagon IPA

Beer Review #135
Here is what the Brewer Says:
Click to zoom in.
My Thoughts:  This brew was given to me by my craft beer buddy John Fay so I could review it.  He urged me to drink it right away because he thought this beer might be towards the end of its fresh IPA life.  When poured, this brew was a hazy red/orange with minimal head and minimal lacing.   The smell was a 50/50 balance of a mild citrus hop, and a sweet sugar malt.  The taste started off with a mild grassy hop note, but was quickly covered up by a sweet malt backbone.  The end of this beer did bring out a slight floral note, but this IPA was definitely on the malty side of the line.  The body of this beer was medium/full while the carbonation remained average.   This was a very different IPA that was drinkable, just not my style.  I'd love to get my hands on an ultra fresh one to compare, but for now I wouldn't give this beer the thumbs up based on what I tasted. 

Serving Type: 12oz Bottle
My Rating: Overall 60/100
Look:4 | Smell:3 | Taste:2.75 | MouthFeel:3 | Drinkability:3

1 comment:

  1. Have to get you a fresher one. Again, good reason to put freshness dates on beer!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...