Monday, June 13, 2011

Pizza Port Tarantula 2.0 Black IPA - Review #126

There isn't much information on this particular brew.  In fact, the information I've found actually has some calling this a Black IPA, some calling it a Black Strong Pale Ale, and still others, like Beer Advocate, labeling it a Black American Ale.  Whatever you call it, after having it at the International Beer Fest I wanted it again.  Then when I saw that Lizardville had a single 1/2 keg of it, I made sure to the one of the first people there when they tapped it at 4pm!
My Thoughts:
This beer poured black as coal with a tan foamy head that ended up leaving minor lacing.  The smell was somewhat surprising.  Only a very faint background of malt and chocolate were present because the dominating smells were of grapefruit, citrus and pine!  The smell alone put a smile on my face.  Then once I took a sip I realized just how great this Black IPA was.  Complex flavors of grapefruit at first mix quickly with orange and then a mild lingering pine bitterness that sticks with you until your next sip.  The hops remain smooth throughout and never punch you in the face, but they are definitely there and balanced perfectly by a just a bit of sweet malt.  The body on this beer mild while the carbonation was slightly above average.  This equaled a slightly bubbly mouthfeel that was both sticky and dry in the end.  Drinkability on this beer is off the charts for me. The ABV of 6.5% was totally hidden and if this beer were available here it would be my one of my go to Black IPAs.  Lastly, to me there is no debate about the style, this is a Black IPA!
Serving Type: 12oz Draft
My Rating: Overall 90/100
Look: 4.5 | Smell: 4.5 | Taste: 4.5 | MouthFeel: 4.5 | Drinkability: 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...