Monday, January 17, 2011

De Dolle Brouwers Extra Export Stout

Here is what the Brewer says:
Stout is an old-fashioned beer, but still popular in English speaking countries. Upon request by the American importer, we brew Stout a couple of times a year, with roasted malt, caramel malt and pale malt, Nugget hops and the same fermentation as Oerbier. The combination of all that is a bitter, tart beer, with character. It could have been drunk in England or Ireland some 200 years ago. Cheers! 
9%ABV

My Thoughts:  This beer took a very long time to pour.  The as it poured it created a very large amount of head, to the point that my glass was half and half no matter what I did.  After pouring and waiting and repeated for about five minutes I finally had the 11.5oz in a glass.  The beer is very very dark brown/black with a large amount of foamy tan head.  The smell was unique. I got a lot of Belgian yeast and it smelled a bit of roasted malt.   The taste was not what I was expecting after looking at the beer.  DRY!  This beer had a lot of active carbonation going on throughout the drink and as dark as it looks this beer just drys your mouth out.  There are hints of chocolate and caramel malt, but I couldn't get past the mid-drink and after taste bring so dry.  I love a dry bitter finish to a beer, but this one was not a good dry finish.  I wonder what would have happened if this beer was served much closer to room temperature.  To add to the dryness that I didn't care for was the super high carbonation level.  This really took away from the mouthfeel of this stout.  I would stay away from this brew unless you really like a dry, almost champagne like, finish to your beer.

Serving Type: 12oz bottle

My Rating: Overall 38/100
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | drink: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...