Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Troegs Mad Elf Ale

Here is what the Brewer Says:  
The Mad Elf, a cheerful creation to warm your heart and enlighten your tongue. The combination of Cherries, Honey, and Chocolate Malts delivers gentle fruits and subtle spices. Fermented and aged with a unique yeast, this ruby red beer has significant warming strength that underlies the pleasant character of this intriguing yet delicious Ale. The Mad Elf, a jolly and delicious beer for the Holidays.
 
Alcohol by Volume: 11%  IBU's: 15
Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate  

Hops: Saaz, Hallertau  
Yeast: Belgian Spicy Yeast
JuJu: Pennsylvania Honey,  Sweet and Sour Cherries


My Thoughts: This Belgian Strong Ale poured a deep reddish brown with very little head at all.   The smell was cherries, fruit, and yeast.   The taste was very strong in terms of fruit, sweetness and the alcohol is present from start to finish.  The spicy yeast flavor really hits your palate mid drink and remains even through the aftertaste.   As this beer sat a little I noticed a hint of banana, but the main flavors are dark red fruits.  I am not a fan of any cherry flavor in a drink, especially a beer so I think that is why this beer wasn't my favorite.  Body is average with little carbonation.  I didn't totally hate this beer, but I don't see myself dropping $16 on a 6 pack of this anytime soon!


Serving Type: Draft

My Rating: Overall 46.5 /100
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | drink: 1.5


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...