Friday, October 5, 2012

Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Calvados Barrel Edition -- Craft Beer Review #167

About this Beer:
So what makes this beer unique enough to spend $15 on an 8oz bottle?  Poop!  Yes, I said Poop. This beer is made with Kopi Luwak which is the most expensive coffee in the world, $160 a pound. First, they feed the berries to Asian Palm Civet, which look like this:
The berries pass through the digestive system of the Civet and are pooped out, then washed, sun dried and finally roasted. The digestive system of the civet slightly breaks down the coffee and it helps produce a less bitter brew. On top of that the beer is aged in Calvados Barrels, Seriously, how could you NOT try this beer after hearing all that?


Appearance:  The beer poured very dark black with a slight brown head that diminished very quickly.  The appearance was everything I expected from an imperial stout.

Smell: The smell was wonderful.  Coffee at first sniff followed by a bit of booze, dark malt and a hint of roasty caramel.  The smell was very inviting and really made you want to take a sip.

Taste:  I only had 4oz to judge this on, I shared with my wife!  Good news, the 4oz was plenty to tell the story of taste.  Rich coffee, dark malt, chocolate and a bit of apple come through thanks to the barrel aging.  I enjoyed the bit of booze that hit my palate, it was balanced with all of the other flavors.

Mouthfeel:  This beer had a very rich full creamy body and a bit heat came through in the end along with a bit of dryness.

Drinkability:  At $15 for 8oz it is hard to say this beer is truly "drinkable".   That being said I'm glad I tried it and I wouldn't hesitate having another one if I have a few extra bucks next time I see it.

Serving Type: 8oz bottle
My Rating: Overall 88/100
Look:5 | Smell:4.5 | Taste:4.5 | MouthFeel:4.5 | Drinkability:3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...