Monday, September 12, 2011

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin

Beer Review #151
Brewers Notes: Smashed Pumpkin is a big-bodied beer with a light coppery orange color and pleasing aromas of pumpkin and nutmeg.  The Pale Ale Wheat and Light Munich malts combine with the natural tannin in pumpkin and the delicate spiciness of hops to balance the sweetness of fruit. 9% ABV
My Thoughts: With a name like Smashed Pumpkin my fiancee and I had high hopes for this brew.  The appearance of the beer was a rusty orange with an off white foamy head.  The beer had a slight haziness to it and it looked appealing.  The smell was somewhat of a disappointment. Very faint pumpkin and nutmeg were all that came through, and it didn't really smell like real pumpkin, more of a pumpkin spice.  The taste took a turn from the nose that I would have never expected.  Unbalanced sweetness and tartness took over and only a faint hint of nutmeg was detectable.  My fiancee, a pumpkin ale lover, couldn't even finish her 10oz glass.  I managed to fight through the unbalanced sweetness and strange flavors to finish mine but it was not easy by any means.  The 9% abv never really showed itself, but I couldn't help but wonder if it had something to do with the off flavors.  The body of the beer was medium, as was the carbonation.  The drinkability of this brew for us is very low.  I don't think I'd want to try to drink a 22oz bottle of this by myself.
Serving Type: 22oz bottle
My Rating: Overall 45.5/100
Look:4 | Smell:3 | Taste:1.5 | MouthFeel:2.5 | Drinkability:2

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...