Saturday, November 13, 2010

New Holland Mad Hatter IPA

Here is what the Brewer says:
Mad Hatter is an I.P.A. that explodes with hop flavors. Dry-hopping provides a distinctive and floral hop aroma, while the lively and hoppy body is subtly balanced with delicious malt notes. Hatter's hop character makes it a great fit for spicy dishes, bitter greens and beef.
12.5° Plato, Alc. 5.25% by Vol.

My Thoughts: This beer poured a cloudy orange out of the bottle with very little head.  The smell was very floral and smelled quite good, but the first taste to me did not have a huge hop profile.  Sure there was some bitterness, but I'd put it on par with more of a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in terms of bitterness at first taste.  Since I couldn't locate any data which gave the actual IBU rating, if I had to make a guess I would say this brew falls somewhere around 50-55ibu.  The middle of this beer in fact tasted 60% hop and 40% malt.   It had both medium body and medium carbonation.  Overall it was well balanced but in terms of IPAs that I've had, the Mad Hatter didn't have me dying to have a second one.  Also, the 5.25%ABV was not noticeable at all in this brew.


Serving Type: Bottle

My Rating: Overall 66.25/100
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | drink: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...