Monday, November 8, 2010

Goose Island Nightstalker

Here is what the Brewer Says:  
A heavily-hopped imperial stout, Night Stalker is a heavyweight of a beer. It delivers a formidable punch of hops and rich roasted malt notes to the nose in a silky body that's as dark as night.
Style: Imperial Stout
Alcohol by Volume: 11.7%
International Bitterness Units: 60
Color: Midnight
Hops: Mt Hood, Simcoe
Malts:
2-Row, Munich, Chocolate, Caramel, Roasted Barley, De-Bittered Black
My Thoughts:  When I poured this beer the color was nearly black as coal with a slight brown foamy head.  The smell alone was intoxicating.  I smelled chocolate, coffee, malt and the 11.7% ABV was noticeable but not at all off-putting.  After my first sip I uttered the words "WOW, this is so Good."  Right away my taste-buds picked up on the dark roasted coffee flavors!  I also tasted some very dark chocolate, toffee, and much to my liking... HOPS!   I couldn't believe this was a "hoppy" black imperial stout.  When I researched further I realized this beer was rated at 60IBU.  For a stout this dark I thought that was amazing!  The mouthfeel was thicker and very smooth with perfect low-mid carbonation.   The ABV's were noticeable while drinking, but not at all overpowering, although if you have two of these back to back you better watch out for those ABV's!   Overall, the hops, malts, coffee, and chocolate combination totally worked for me.  I would buy this beer again in a heartbeat-- $10 price tag for a 22oz bottle!! 

Serving Type: 22oz bottle


My Rating: Overall 96.5/100
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | drink: 4.75

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...